Monday, September 19, 2005


This is Lucie (left, in yellow), me, and Eva (right) visiting the schoen huis at the Veenpark near Emmen. Veenpark means "peat park", as the area was once covered by a few dozen feet of peat, now a museum. Lucie is my dad's cousin (their mothers were sisters), and taking the photo is Lucie's husband Gerjan. Eva is their daughter. The Grevinks have graciously welcomed me into their home, and over the past week answered my many queries about the Netherlands, all the while patiently translating for me and being my first teachers of the Dutch language.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Maryka, You thought the dutch word for peat is "veer" but it is "veen". It's no wonder you made this mistake, because here, in the north-east of the country we often swallow the last character of a word. We've great admiration for you trying so hard to speak dutch.
Go on and well done !!!! Lucie